The Telsyte Australian IoT@Home Market Study 2018 (Internet of Things) revealed that the average Aussie home has an incredible 17.1 connected devices. This figure is expected to increase, as we become more and more reliant on smart technology.
Take a moment to consider what your home’s connected to. Probably a mobile or two (plus the kids, your partner’s, your parents, the lodgers…), a tablet, a computer, a smart speaker or stereo system, some kind of wearable tech, a smart TV, smart meters, game consoles…. And that’s without even touching on smart security devices.
And as tech advances at what feels like the speed of light, here’s betting there’s a whole host of IoT offerings available today that you’re not even aware of. If you’ve not been keeping up to date then you might be surprised at exactly how much of your life can be made easier by including the latest technology within your home.
- Is it a TV, or is it a work of art? Let’s be honest, a TV isn’t the prettiest of objects. But being as it’s now an ultra slim device, it makes perfect sense that there’s now a Samsung TV that hangs on the wall and, when not in use, can display a picture of your choice. Nice!
- The perfect kitchen assistant: An interactive kitchen that can preheat the oven, remind you it’s time to stir that sauce, read barcodes on groceries and suggest recipes, keep an eye on the contents of your fridge – now doesn’t that sound like something from a sci-fi movie? Well, it’s actually reality – or a prototype reality, at least. The appliance firm, Whirlpool, has showcased one of the latest technological masterpieces, the ‘smart splashback’, which can do all of this and more. Pretty cool stuff, don’t you think…?
- The perfect shower temperature: For each and every member of the family, thanks to a thermostatic mixer that’s activated by your fingerprint. Simply press the button outside the shower, wait for the alert light, and voila! No more freezing or boiling under water that’s not at the right temperature. Plus it can set the volume of water and spray as well, so also helps save water.
- What about a smart loo? Yep, there’s even a toilet that can analyse your pee and let you know if there’s a deficiency or problem.
- Smart pools: Forget the antiquated ways of measuring the water quality and chemical mix in your pool, you can now do it directly from your phone via various specialist apps. And they keep an eye on the water temperature too, so never again will you need to creep into too-cold water in ‘that’ pose we all adopt as the icy tendrils creep up your body…
And if you think all of this is overwhelming, then how about a complete ‘smart home’ system, such as Google Home or Telstra’s Smart Home. Such systems give the ability to remotely switch lights on and off, turn on the TV or fire up Netflix. Link up to your music provider to play your tunes, check you’ve turned the iron off, turn the heating up, make sure the kids are home – the list of what these smart homes systems can do is increasing every day.
Of course, there’s the all-important aspect of privacy that’s stopping a lot of folk from embracing this fast-advancing tech. It’s something that providers are also very keen to address, but for many, such cybersecurity issues are still not ingrained enough for them to fully trust using them. For younger users, who’ve never known life without the online world, it’s perhaps easier to accept. But for older people, the chance to switch off and have a ‘tech-free’ home (or at least an area of the home) might still be preferable.
But much in the way that computers and mobile phones have now become the norm, the rise of the smart home is inevitable. And, for most of us, will be something that really will enhance our lives and provide way more benefits than drawbacks.
Crown Security has been providing the latest in smart security devices and home automation systems to Perth and Western Australia for over a quarter of a century. Their friendly team is well-versed in the very latest tech and will be happy to discuss what devices might be beneficial for your home and individual needs. Contact us today.
- Posted by admin
- On 01/08/2019